Monday, February 15, 2010

Lost Another Hive

This weekend the temp warmed and some and the bees were flying. As I check on my hives, 2 of the 3 hives were busy. Not much action at the 3rd hive. You guessed it, they starved. I have now lost 2 hives this winter. It has been unusually cold here. If I was not working all the time I could have time to actually feed the bees. It is just so inconveinent for me to do that when I usually get in after dark and leave early. O well, at least I have 2 hives for now. I will probably buy a couple of nucs this spring to replace the ones that I have lost. I really need to harvest more honey this year than last year because I have more and more people requesting the sweet honey. Although I have lost these hives, it has not broken my beekeeping spirit. I am still learning more about how to manage these little insects daily.

On a different subject, the compost worms are multiplying beyond my wildest expectations. I am going to have to come up with a larger compost bin for them this spring. I am still thinking about what I am going to do about that.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Paul, sorry to hear the news. I have questioned myself a thousand times over as to what I could have done differently to save my Walter hive from starvation. I must say, though, the loss has made me even more committed to beekeeping than ever.

Glad to hear about the worms! We're still buried under tons of snow so everything in my compost pile is buried way underground. Are you going to use those worms in your garden this year. It was beautiful last summer and I was envious it grew so fast!

Kat said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of this hive. I know nothing about beekeeping. I wonder how they manage in the wild. I guess they die off there too in cold winters without enough food. Very interesting for sure.
Worm beds are so cool. My In-laws used to have one years ago in south Alabama. Enjoying your blog, still.

Dee Carlson said...

I certainly understand how you are feeling. We checked ours a couple days ago and lost 2, so right now we are down to 6 hives. Last night my husband was going through the frames and it looks like one hive did starve, but the other one still had honey. It is so disappointing, but we are getting ready to order some more packages for this spring and will keep trying!

Paul said...

Thanks guys for your support. Lynn I plan to simply grow the worms and simply learn how to manage these little critters with the ultimate goal of utilizing their castings for my plants. If I grow too many worms for my comfort I could always give away these to others whom are interested in composting.

Bill said...

How can you worry about starving Bees and talk about taking more honey in the same post? Seems you should leave more honey for the bees.

@Kat, they survive in the wild because no one is eating their honey but them.

Paul said...

Well Bill, What I intented to relay was that I want to harvest more honey this upcoming year and therefore I need more hives. Yes I did overharvest my hives last year, that is probably why that hive starved. My mistake. Thanks for reading my post.