Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bees Gone Crazy

Ok, It finally warmed up a little with highs in the 60's for the past couple of days. The bees are flying in and out of the hives with lots of pollen (from somewhere) on their legs. I have no idea where they are getting this from, everything appears to be dormant and I can find nothing obviously blooming. Anyway, I am pleased as punch to see the hives doing well. Hopefully if the have made it this far, they will make it to spring. I am now starting to get the itch to build a couple of more hives for new colonies this spring. More and more people now know I have honey and I am asked for this more often than not now. It is nice to know that there are folks around here who appreciate good local honey and recognize the health benefits. Teach, teach, teach.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Glad to know your hives are doing well. I know it makes you happy. Your friends and neighbors are lucky to have you to share your honey.
There is no pollen, yet, in the mountains, but my bees started bringing it in last year in February. My girls are out on nice days and I'm feeding like crazy. Don't want to lose another hive. We've got a major snow storm on the way, so I've got more bad weather to worry about :(

Dee Carlson said...

I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to sell our honey last year. This was our first year, so every drop was priceless to us and we ran out way faster than we wanted. But seems like most everyone we talked to said can I buy some? Hoping this year we will have a surplus supply for ourselves and those who want local honey.