Friday, February 26, 2010

Warming Up A Little

This past weekend I went to my dad's where I now have 2 bee hives (had 3). The two remaining hives are very healthy. I changed their bottom board oil trap oil for new oil. These hives were surprizingly clean and the wax was a healthy buttery yellow color. Lots of bees.
It will not be long before my dad will be catching swarms for us. Last year he captured a swarm at the end of March. He loves doing that and has now come quite adept at this. He also loves the honey and like me, he eats honey every am. He is a semi retired farmer and enjoys managing the bees with me. He has a 500 acre parcel of farm land that he placed in WRP program where this was planted in native hardwood. He walks around it every day and checks on the hives. There is lots of food there for the bees. I am looking forward to see what this bee season affords us. If you are looking for a project to spend time with your father with, beekeeping is certainly a good option. I plan to include photo's of us together working the bees this year.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Yes, that is a nice way to spend time with your father. Enjoy.

Lynn said...

I'll look forward to seeing you and your Dad working the bees together. I grew up beside my grandfather in the garden and now my granddaughter spends lots of time with me there and with the bees. Some things are just worth sharing!