Friday, September 25, 2009

Hive Recovery

I gave my father in law a hive earlier this year and it did not prosper. In fact, it lost the majority of the bees. He is not a bee keeper but he wanted a hive for his garden. I inspected the hive the other day and there was only about 2-300 bees in the hive but the queen was still present. No eggs, no brood. I took the frames that had the bees and queen and placed them in a nuc hive. I ordered a new queen and she is to arrive next week. I also added a couple of frames from my good hives to the nuc hive to strenghten the numbers. I am hoping that with the addition of a new queen (after I kill the old queen) will at least allow the hive to survive until next spring. I plan to feed the hive often through out the winter and hopefully will have a nice healthy start on a new hive for next year. We have wildflowers in full bloom this time of year especially the golden rod.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Hi Paul. I hope the nuc survives the winter. We have had a tremendous amount of rain here in the mountains over the past week. Probably over 24 " by now. My hives look strong now, but I know a long winter is ahead.

However brief, I'm always interested in your posts.

Paul said...

Thanks Lynn