Thursday, April 30, 2009

Update on the Swarm Catch

I have been checking on the swarm that I caught using the bee pheromone and the hive is growing nicely. I added three more frames of foundation to the nuc hive the other day and all looks ok. I am going to leave the nuc hive at its original location until the hive is stronger and I will then transfer to a full size Langstroth. I opened my other hives today and for some reason the bees are not moving above the queen excluder below the new supers that I placed this year. I have heard others have had this problem also so I removed the queen excluders. The bees appear to be increasing in numbers. My Dad called me today and he has caught another swarm for me. I think I will place this hive in my father-in-law's garden. The hive beetles are definitly under control with the traps. Excellent move installing the beetle traps.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Glad I found your blog. I'm enjoying you concise, infomative writing. Also, thanks for joining Walter Bee. I'm more of a gardener than beekeeper, but I'm getting my second colony the first of the week, so the beekeeping venture is expanding. I also have some shitake logs.

Paul said...

I am so glad you joined my blog. You are the second one to join and the first to leave a comment. I am also glad that I joined your blog. My wife says that no one is interested in my activities in the back yard but now I have proof that someone out there actually finds pleasure in doing this stuff and writing to tell about it besides me. Anyway, you just made my day.

Floor Heating Valencia said...

Thanks for shharing