Sunday, July 17, 2011

Just Harvested

Yesterday I harvested the honey from the 4 hives that my Father has. Two of the hives were not ready to harvest in that there was largely uncapped honey. I did harvest the other 2 hives and they were full of capped honey. We received about 5 gallons of honey per hive. It was very hot in my bee garb but we made it through the 95 deree temp by harvesting early that morning. I need to figure out how to harvest these hive in the spring and fall when the temp is more tolerable. My hives are simply not ready to harvest in the spring. I just need to find out more about how this works because I know that the professional beekeepers harvest in spring ad fall around here. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Kat said...

Wow! 5 gallons per hive! That sounds great.

Paul said...

Thanks for your comments Kat. I will be glad to send you a jar since you are a faithful reader and commenter of my blog. Just need your mailing address. Send to my email of paulroberts01@hotmail.com

Donna Heber said...

There is nothing like fresh honey from the hive! When I was a little girl living on a farm we had a beehive and I loved to watch the bee keeper come to take the honey. He would jar it for us to sell. Oh, the good old days when life was simple.

Flower Names said...

Fresh honey! Sounds so delicious. Love honey glowing amber color. You have a great blog by the way.