Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Swarm

The white nuc hive is the swarm that my Dad caught for me. It is actually a quite large hive. I plan to move them to a regular brood hive later this weekend.
Another view

This is a make shift swarm catch hive made from a discarded ice chest.



Inside view of the ice chest swarm catch. The top bars are secured with melted bees wax.




This is a discarded ice chest that I found on the side of the road. I thought this could be modified to be a top bar hive/swarm catch hive. Lets see how it works.


Ok, Today I have confirmed that I have actually caught a new swarm in one of my swarm boxes. They are moving pollen in and are very active. My Dad also brought me a new swarm that he caught yesterday. This swarm is actually larger than the one I caught.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Paul. That's great news. I'm hoping to get some swarms by the end of the month. After a brutal winter, our spring has gotten unseasonably warm so the bees are bringing in lots of pollen. I have 12 new baby chicks! I'm posting about them today. What was I thinking!!!

Paul said...

Heeeaar Chicki chicki.
I have not done the chick thing yet but I have been curious about that. I had to feed the chicks and gather the chicken snakes, I mean eggs when I was a little boy. Good memories.

Kat said...

Good news for you! I look forward to more posting on the swarms!

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome swarm catching box!! How did you attract the bees so they could find it?

Paul said...

Easy, Just put some fresh bee comb, honey, and queen pheromone. Trust me, the bees will find it if it is in a place where there is any bee population. They seem to smell these almost immediatly.