Sunday, March 21, 2010

Smoker Build Finished

Bees that made it through the winter.

...another bee or two that made it through the winter.

This is my compost bin I made earlier this month. Simple


All you do is turn it manually when you feel like it. It has leaves, chicken manure and food scraps in it. It is suppose to make "..excellent quality compost." We shall see.




A blurry photo of my blueberry bushes. I have 4 of these. These are rabbiteye blueberrys, climax variety. I fertilized them this winter with azelia (spelling?) fertilize.



Just good to see these.











Temp rising. I usually smoke at anywhere from 225-250 degrees.







This is smoke coming from my newly constructed smoker. It only smokes when I first start the fire. Once the fire is established there is hardly any smoke when using charcoal as the fuel. I used some hickory but is is too smokey for me. I am going to try pecan as the fuel the next time I smoke.









This is the basket that holds the fuel for the smoker. This goes in the bottom of the smoker of course.








This is how I get the charcoal started. No lighter fluid need with one of these gizmos.










The fire basket sits on the bottom grate. You can see the air intake that directs regulated air to the bottom of the smoker basket.











This is the air intake valve. All made from scrap metal.












I have the capability of smoking on 4 racks. The inside diameter of the smoker is 23 1/2 inches. The door has a high heat silicone seal (red). There is no air leakage.













Side view with the doors shut. I have 2 temp gauges. One just below the top rack and one just below the bottom rack.















A good overall view of the smoker. Never mind all of my junk around it.














Another good view of the smoker. It is a 105 gallon propane tank that I made into a vertical smoker. Another project I made in my garage.















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul: Congrats on your smoker! Looks great. I want to show the pics to my dad. He worked for the North Carolina Gas Service for 31 years, I bet he never thought about taking an old tank and turning it into a smoker. I had an old smoker grill and I loved it, but after years of helping to make some great food, it finally rusted out and went to the landfill. Happy eating!

Paul said...

Thanks Mark. I enjoyed building this. This propane tank is made of steel that is a little over 1/4 inch thick. I doubt it will ever rust out in my life time. I plan to keep it under my outdoor tractor shed as you see in the photo. Maybe my little girl will get this when I pass on. I hope she does anyway. I still need to but our New Orleans Saint fleur de leis on the door. Go Saints

Chris said...

That is one of the coolest, intriguing designs i have seen...that of your compost bin sitting on top of the inverted casters.

Highly ingenious!

Thanks for sharing the picture, i just might make myself one of them one of these days.

Chris
Eastern NC

Roman lesnar said...

This is a decent post. This post gives really quality data. I'm unquestionably going to investigate it. Truly exceptionally valuable tips are given here. Much obliged to you to such an extent. Keep up the acts of kindness. propane tank accessories

daren sammy said...

I really enjoy while I read your blogs and articles. quality wordpress themes